Welcome to Havering Sports Council, our aim is to promote and encourage sporting activity throughout the borough by representing all our affiliated members. All sporting organisations and individuals are welcome to become members and attend our monthly meetings held at Romford Town Hall on the 4th Tuesday of each month (except for Aug & Dec).
Sports Council Officers Appointed to serve for 2018 at the AGM
President: Peter Bruce
Chairman: Derek Drew
Vice-Chairman: Barry Dent
Hon Treasurer: Barry Dent
Hon Secretary: Ann Drew
Hon Minutes Sec: Jayne Hickie
Hon Membership Sec: Ann Drew
Hon Press Sec: Dave Ainsworth
Schools Liaison: Giorgio Bugnatelli
Web Master: Dave Keeley
Handbook Editor: Clive Pooley
On TIME FM (107.5FM) each Thursday at 7 p.m.
The station will endeavour to mention what's coming-up locally.
THURSDAY EVENING SPORTS SHOW on your subject line
The next round of sports bursaries will finish at the end of June 2018 download the forms from here.
Havering Athletics Club
- Club athletes won four individual golds and two team titles and eight other medals at the recent Essex Cross Country Championships. Matthew Blacklock and Natailie Sewell won the Under 13 boys' and girls' titles, Jessica MItchell won the Under 17 women's title, leading the team to gold, and Ben Davis' Under 20 men's gold also set up the team prize. Ben's fine form saw him selected to compete for the England Under 20s team at a Cross Country meeting in Seville, Spain today, finishing an excellent fifth. Faye Fullerton added to her international vest collection when placing 19th for England against a strong international field at the same meeting.
- The fourth round of the Essex Cross Country League saw club athletes win four individual victories and two team wins, including the first senior win for many years as Rob Warner led the senior men to victory. Provisionally eight club young athletes have been selected to compete for Essex at the English Schools Cross Country Championships in March, after yesterday's Essex schools cross country championships.
- The indoor season is underway and the highlight so far has been a new club Under 15 girls' 60m hurdles record for Ruby Mace, in winning silver at the South of England Championships.
Havering 90 Joggers/Parkrun
- Some new runners joined H90J in January but fewer than usual.
- The Hornchurch parkrun has been cancelled for the past few weeks due to mud in the park. It was noted that the Raphael Park parkrun recently had 333 runners.
SYM Sailing Club
- Winter maintenance is taking place.
Havering Tennis Club
- Winter training taking place now.
- Jordan Sergeant and Peter Bruce will be doing some para activities for 3 months from February half term.
PB going to a para active meeting will be asking him and Jorden to do some para activities for 3 months.
LBH Sports Development
-London Mini Marathon
-London Youth Games update
Both male and female cricket are entered for the event in a few weeks– over 50 young people attended trials.
All the rules are on www.londonyouthgames.org.
Mick Pierce will be taking over as archery manager but other managers are still being sought.
- Sapphire Ice & Leisure Update
Open day on 3rd February – Karen has an itinerary and the London Raiders are playing that evening.
Official invites to the open day to follow.
- Hornchurch Sports Centre
Planning has been submitted and to view this please visit the planning section of the Council Website
- Sapphire Ice and Leisure Centre (Romford) opens on 3rd February and there is an open weekend 3rd and 4th Feb. more information on the centre Facebook page www.facebook.com/SapphireIce
- Mother and Baby exercise classes starting: Hornchurch Sports Centre: Tuesdays 20th Feb,11.30-12.30pm
Noak Hill Sports Complex: Wednesdays 21st Feb.11.15-12.15pm
£4.50 for members, £5 for non-members
- Toddler Trampoline class Thursdays from 25th Jan 1pm at Central Park Leisure Centre, £4.95
- Running another block of indoor athletics sessions for school years 4, 5 and 6 at Hornchurch Sports Centre, Tuesdays 30th Jan-27th March 4.30-5.30pm, £32, in partnership with LBH Health and Sports Dev Team, offering an exit route to their school holiday activities and for those on the Havering Athletics Club waiting list
- Walking Netball sessions in partnership with England Netball are going well at Hornchurch Sports Centre and were featured on BBC Sport recently http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/netball/42552518 Due to start a Walking Netball session at Central Park in Feb.
- Everyone Active has opened the next round of applications for their Sporting Champions programme, which offers funding and support for talented athletics from across the UK - see website for more information and to apply https://www.easportingchampions.com/packages/
Winter league HDSA won 4 Broxhill lost 4 with both teams in Division 4.
Hornchurch Cricket Club
- Work is due to start on improvements to the changing rooms.
Havering-atte-Bower Cricket Club
- Winter nets start at St Edward’s school next week.
Romford Rifle and Pistol Club
-Romford Rifle and Pistol Club held its annual prize giving and charity shoot on Sunday 21 January 2018 which was well attended by about 60 people and raised a substantial sum for charity (exact amount not known as yet).
- Tom Goldsmith from TIME FM is visiting the club on Thursday, 25th January to see what they do.
Havering Sailing Club
Jim Reynolds from Havering Sailing Club was welcomed to his first meeting. He reported a static year, with the club struggling to attract new members with young people especially needed. New publicity is in preparation to boost membership with a refreshed website also in preparation.