Welcome to Havering Sports Council, our aim is to promote and encourage sporting activity throughout the borough by representing all our affiliated members. All sporting organisations and individuals are welcome to become members and attend our monthly meetings held at Romford Town Hall on the 4th Tuesday of each month (except for Aug & Dec).
Tuesday 25th October - 8.00 p.m.
Romford Town Hall
Club Reports from the Sept Meeting
Information on forthcoming events and results of past events from Sept meeting
Havering-atte-Bower Cricket Club
At the end of the season the 1st team were promoted back to division 2, the second team came 7th in division 6 and the 3rd team came bottom and were relegated to division 10. The club enjoys playing at Bedford’s Park but changing rooms are needed there.
Havering 90 Joggers and Parkrun
Parkrun going well with ‘School Gate’ runs starting up. Parkrun HQ has informed all providers that each run has to have its own defibrillator at the run start and sharing with nearby facilities is unacceptable.
SYM Sailing club
- RYA levels 1 and 2 held over 2 Sundays recently. - Annual race “Bart’s Bash” in memory of Andrew Simpson was held recently. - Sunday, 2nd October – sailing day for Bradwell Quay Yacht Club for them to try dinghy sailing.- Sailing weekend based at Stone Yacht Club 14th-16th October.
Upminster Bowling Club
- Representatives from the Men’s section reached all four of the Group 4 County Finals. Unfortunately, Upminster were runners up in 3 events but Colin Coe won the Unbadged Singles. - Club member Sandy Dron played his 4th game for the county and was awarded his County Badge. - In the men’s leagues the club finished 3rd in the Clockhouse Trophy and 4th/5th in the BDBA and RBA leagues. - The ladies finished as runners up in the Hartswood Evening League. - Membership steady at around 100.
Upminster Hockey Club
- The 1st XI men’s team gained promotion to Division 1 for this season. - The summer league has finished and the club has taken part in some friendly matches prior to the official start of the new season.
- Guy Selfe confirmed that the cost of refurbishing the 5M board is not sustainable but will be discussing potential facilities with the club at the proposed replacement Leisure Centre at Hornchurch which will be built subject to planning permission. - 8 divers took part in the Amersham Diving Competition achieving 2 silver & 1 bronze.
- Leafleting schools for potential new members to boost membership. - Recent publicity in the Romford Recorder has raised the profile of the club. - Club member Ryan has recently qualified as a Level 1 coach to assist the club.
2016 Havering Sports Council Sports Awards
Supported by McDonalds Restaurant's Romford
£200 cheque for winners of the Junior, Sports Competitor and Disability awards
The hunt is on again to reward Havering's top sporting achievers and behind-the-scenes helpers, as nomination forms are now available for the Annual Sports Awards.
The main presentation is for the "The Doug Riden Lifetime Achievement Award" (Sponsored by McDonald's Restaurants of Romford) which goes to a person who has dedidated himself/herself to local sport.
All category other awards have both a winner and 2 runners-up :
JUNIOR SPORTS COMPETITOR-OF-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by West & Coe Funeral Directors)
SPORTS COMPETITOR-OF-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by MDS Printers)
DISABILITY SPORTS COMPETITOR-OF-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by the Beadle Family)
SPORTS VOLUNTEER-OF-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by Cllr.John Mylod)
SENIOR SCHOOL TEAM-0F-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by Brentwood M & E Services Ltd)
PRIMARY SCHOOL TEAM OF-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by Cllr.Melvin Wallace)
SPORTS CLUB-OF-THE-YEAR (Sponsored by DMS Fencing)
Winner of the Junior Sports category, Sports Competitor and Disability awards will receive a £200 cash awards (sponsored by Lodge Farm Tennis Club)
Nominations close January 9th.
All finalists are to be invited to a Presentation Buffet (Sponsored by McDonald's Restaurants) at Upminster Golf Club, on Monday 6th February where awards will be be presented by local dignataries and sponsors' representatives.
Nomination forms are widely avaiable in libraries, sports centres and public buildings.
Nomination forms and more information are now available here for the 2016 Sports Awards.
An online form is available here
The next round of sports bursaries will finish at the end of October download the forms on this website.
Harold Wood Running Club 5 Miles
Everyone Active are looking for talented young athletes to sponsor for ‘Sporting Champions’ campaign
Talented young sports men and women in Havering have a unique opportunity to gain sponsorship from Everyone Active as part of its ‘Sporting Champions’ talented young athlete scheme. Everyone Active operates Central Park Leisure Centre, Hornchurch Sports Centre and Chafford Sports Complex in partnership with Havering Council, and is reaching out to potential local sports stars in the run up to the Olympics.
More information in this document